Management of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, KNUST, has until further notice suspended all Students Representative Council (SRC) election-related activities.
This follows a violent clash between members of the University Hall [Katanga] and Unity Hall [Conti] on Sunday during the vetting of SRC aspirants.
The students, during the violence destroyed among other things, chairs, glasses, and flower pots at the University’s Great Hall.
Following the development between the two rival halls, all SRC election-related activities have indefinitely been put on hold.
“The University management has suspended all SRC activities leading to the SRC elections until further notice,” Dr. Daniel Norris Bekoe, the University’s Relations Officer said in a Citi News interview.
He added that a committee would be set up on Monday, July 5, 2021, to investigate the matter to ensure the appropriate sanctions are meted out to persons involved.
“A committee will be constituted tomorrow, [Monday], to investigate the actual cause of the event, and then make appropriate recommendations for the consideration of management. The University cannot sanction anybody unless a committee comes up with such a recommendation for the consideration of the Vice-Chancellor. So we are investigating to find all those involved in the clash.”
University authorities have so far confirmed that only one of the students officially reported to the University Hospital to undergo medical treatment for the injuries he suffered.
The affected student is said to be in a stable condition.
A separate statement issued by the school assured parents and stakeholders of the University that there is calm on campus and that students are carrying out their normal academic activities peacefully.
‘The University will continue to provide a safe and secure environment for productive academic work”, it added